Six ways therapy can help you get the best from your NDIS plan
We have supported hundreds of NDIS participants to reach their goals since the start of the scheme in 2013. We've found there are some key ways that you can use therapy to get the best from your NDIS plan:
- Seek assessment or advice from a therapist prior to your NDIS plan. This can assist you to have a successful meeting with your NDIA planner. An OT, speech pathologist or physio can support you to set goals that will make a real difference in your life.
- If you already have your NDIA plan you will have some large general goals. An therapist can assist you to break your goals into smaller, manageable steps so you'll see a clear pathway to reach them.
- An therapist can assist you explore what's currently working for you, what you can do now and what your strengths are.
- An experienced therapist can assess your potential beyond you current skills and capabilities so you have a clear picture of how your life could be.
- Identify the "just right challenge" and the right supports for you. A therapist can help you to make the most of your core supports so that they have the biggest impact on reaching your goals. Your therapist can also work with your circle of supports so that everyone is assisting you to work towards your goals in a similar way.
- If you have a budget for assistive technology (equipment) or home modifications in your plan an therapist can assist you to match the right equipment to your needs or work with you specify the most appropriate modifications.